Friday, September 02, 2011

RITE OF PASSAGE

The Empathic Rationalist will fortunately not have a substantive post this weekend. I say “fortunately” because of the reason – it will be my privilege to drive my younger daughter to college in Minnesota. It’s the first time one of my girls has moved outside of the DC area, and I will miss her terribly, but I’m thrilled for her to get the chance to study at one of America’s great liberal arts colleges (Carleton) and watch her favorite sports teams (Vikings and Twins).

If on Wednesday morning, you happen to be on the roadways of the Upper Midwest and see a car with Maryland license plates that say “SPINOZA,” you might get the pleasure of watching a grown man cry. It’s hard to let that little bird fly away from the nest – particularly when you know that your nest will now be “empty.” But in a few weeks, my wife and I will be celebrating 23 wonderful years together, and while it will be the first year that we won’t have a daughter living at home, at least we can be thankful that we have each other. May you all be as fortunate as I have been in finding a partner for life.

No comments: